Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Women's Accomplishments

My grade is required to enter the 19th Annual Kaplun Essay Contest. We have to write an essay about our favorite hero/heroine, Biblical, historical, or contemporary, and his/her influence on Jewish history and/or Jewish values.

It's really hard! Tonight I have to find a person to write about and come up with a topic sentence. It shouldn't be that hard, except that I can't decide who to write about! I want to do a woman, since I think that it would be easier for me to relate to a woman than to a man. In some cases this is not true, but for me I think it is.

I researched four people, one of which I finally chose. The first three I researched were Golda Meir, Chana Senesh, and Henrietta Szold. I decided against Golda Meir, because I thought that she was too typical, but it turns out that i don't think many people are writing about her. Chana Senesh was nixed next, because she was an amazing person, it's true, but I couldn't think of a good way that she had impacted Jewish history. Third went Henrietta Szold, for the same reason as Chana Senesh. I finally called up my cousin, who is a senior in high school, to see what ideas she had. She suggested doing the woman who started the Bais Yaakov movement. She started out as a poor seamstress, but then followed her dream and started teaching young Jewish girls Torah, in order to save their jewish souls from being destroyed by the secular world.

She is an amazing woman, and I am not fully sure why, but she made some sort of impact on me.

I have to go now, so I'll talk to you soon!

-Sara

No comments: