Sunday, May 9, 2010

HAPPY MOMMY DAY!!

Happy Mother's Day to every wonderful mother out there! And even if you are not a wonderful mother, you are a mother nonetheless, so happy Mother's Day to you, too! My family and I celebrated by going out to Shalom Bombei for dinner. It's this really good Indian restaurant where I live. We gave my mother cards, and my dad got her a muffin and coffee from Starbucks in the morning. Whoa. Back up there! Rewind!! Isn't it like a tradition to give your mom breakfast in bad on mother's Day? You are absolutely right, that is the tradition, but my mom goes against it, daring to be different. She likes to get up early on Mother's Day and go to taekwondo, dragging my brothers and me with her. Don't ask why, because I can't tell you, I don't rightly know myself.

I absolutely cannot believe it, but in 11 hours and 44 minutes I will be 14 years old!! I don't think I'm going to feel any older though, different, wiser. I feel the same, but with a different number when I am asked how old I am. Should I be striving for some great feeling now that I am just about 14 years old? Is there supposed to be some overwhelming sense of maturity or something? Beacuse a lot of my friends are already 14, and they are certainly not any more mature than they were while 13. One example is that my friends greatly enjoy making "that's what she said" jokes. Another is that my friend Hillel repeatedly calls me a spaz, and I finally broke down and told him "fine I am a spaz." That wasn't all though. Following his victory cry, I said, "but I am a proud spaz!!" I think that should keep him quiet for a while. Scratch that. He is gloating that he was right and I was wrong.

Does that give you the impression of maturity? If it does, please explain to me how so. I must be missing something.

My schedule is wacky, crazy, chaotic, hectic, and every other adjective like that. Thursday was the performances of my grade's Holocaust play at school. In the morning some schools came to see it, and at night it was parents and siblings mostly. The kids in my grade actually managed to pull it together, and we performed very nicely. We even got a standing ovation at the night performance, started by my wonderful older brother, Yaakov. Tomorrow is my school choir's Spring Concert. We are performing along with the SAR and Ramaz choirs. Upon finding out the date about a month and a half ago, I freaked out happily that it was on my birthday, so Mrs. greenberg, the choir teacher, said the would all sing Happy Birthday to me at the end of the concert! Sunday brings my recommended black belt test at taekwondo (*shrieks*) and Matt Okin's spring talent showcase, which my friends and I are singing a trio in. Have you ever heard "The Rose" by Bette Midler? That's what we're performing. It's an amazing song. The last performance I have that is coming up is on June 18, and it is my first piano recital and a singing performance, since my piano teacher is also my voice teacher and she and her husband have these concerts twice a year. I am so excited for all of this! 

Especially the piano part of it all, I have never performed my piano playing, and I have improved at a tremendous speed, learning at such a quick pace that jana, my teacher, is greatly impressed, considering the fact that I have only been playing since January. I have simply fallen in love with the piano! Jana's exact words after one of our lessons a few weeks ago were, "I think you must have been born to play piano." That meant so much to me, since she is a professional, and must know what she's talking about. 

I feel so happy right now. I have a good life, friends who love me, a boyfriend who is crazy about me. What more could a girl ask for? Well, if you insist on knowing, a girl like me could really ask for a dog, but.....I'm just joking. As wonderful as a dog would be, I'm still happy with my life. 

Now why is she so happy? Is she high? Is she drunk? Is she delirious? No, no, no, and no. I am reading the diary of Anne Frank, and it put my life into perspective for me. I have such an amazing life, yet I take most of it for granted. There are so many oppurtunities for me to be happy, or to help someone in need, yet I let it slip through my fingers without a second thought. Now that I am turning 14, it is a new year for me, a yearin which I can become a better person, further develop all the qualities that make one into an exceptionally good person. 

I have big goals for myself this year, and I should probably be getting started on them . The first step would most likely be to leave the computer and go work on my english essay due next Monday....

-Sara

No comments: